Necessary macOS system configuration
macOS doesn't pull its own weight, at least not in a standard configuration. There are a number of apps that need to be installed. Some of them are free, others are not.
- 2020-10-27 Updated this guide, added section on CursorSense,
Take some time to read my guide on keyboard settings for windows & linux users first.
- Let you maximize individual windows for any app.
- Send a window to a specific half, or quarter of the screen.
- Turn on/off/tweak mouse acceleration.
- Increase keyboard repeat rate.
This app is essential. It's one of the few apps that are actually worth paying for. In all honesty, I don't think that a simple thing like maximize / send to half / send to quarter should need a paid third party app to work.
Goals one & two achieved.
CursorSense is really good, and I don't mind paying for it actually. It lets you configure acceleration and sensitivity very precisely, and it can save a number of "favorite settings" per input device.
Goal three achieved.
Keyboard repeat rate
Change the keyboard repeat rate
You might have to sign out or restart your computer before the settings take effect.
All goals achieved ★
Have some tea.